What gift shall I give to the person who already has everything? How about something necessary, to a person who needs everything, but given in your loved one’s name? “Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38
We have a few ideas that will provide life sustaining gifts for people who will really appreciate them.
1. Jesus knew the basic language that people would understand when he expressed his feelings about His kinsmen. “often I have longed to gather your children together, as hen gathers her chicks under her wings,” Lk. 13:34
2. When describing the kingdom of God he said, “It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, the birds of the air perched in its branches.”
3. God described the righteous person in Isaiah 58:11, “The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”
4. He describes the woman of noble character, “She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously ; her arms are strong for her tasks.” Proverbs 31:15
5. Food is scarce in South Sudan, but Living Water Community Transformation is making a difference in the lives of the people of Akot, not only by increasing the produce from community farm, but also by assisting church gardens, school gardens, women’s ministry gardens, and individual family gardens. God said, “He who works his land will have abundant food.” Pr. 12:11
6. Jesus understood all about the hard work that is required to produce food. He even used the work of the oxen to make his point about the need for people to follow Him. “Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.
7, The women in Akot make up songs about the Bible lessons they learn. One song that can be heard at every community gathering comes from Proverbs chapter 31, which describes the virtuous woman. The women in Akot have embraced this teaching, and it has changed their lives and status in the community. A sewing school is highly valued by the whole community. “She makes linen garments and sells them.” Pr. 31:24
8. A cloth with Bible story pictures is used to teach Bible lessons to people who cannot read. Very few people in Akot can read, so this tool is very important. Men’s and women’s discipleship groups use these cloths weekly to teach the Bible stories in their chronological order. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16
9. A drum made from an old diesel fuel can and cow hide is the instrument used for the call to worship. It is the only “equipment” used at church services in Akot and the surrounding communities. On Sunday mornings these drums can be heard every where for miles. “Where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” Matt. 18:20
10. Jesus said, “You are the light of the world.” Matt. 5:14. Isaiah 58:10 tells us how we can light up the darkness. “If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness and your night will become like the noonday.”
11. Living Water CT does everything we can to encourage orphans to complete primary school. Less than 2% of the children in South Sudan complete primary school. For orphans this is nearly impossible. Several of our orphans have completed level 8 with good grades. They desire to continue to secondary school, but that requires their living in a boarding school, because of the distance from Akot.
James 1:27 says, “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.”
Partner with us by providing gifts that will keep on giving long after Christmas 2016 is past.
Use the contact information listed below for making donations.
Living Water Community Transformation, Inc.
4301 Gainsborough Court
Tampa, FL 33624